Friday, June 8, 2018

Owl On Guard?


Lately, we have been having some bird issues in the backyard, which I guess aren't as bad as the possible issues we could be having, but annoying nonetheless. We have a ceiling fan in the gazebo that the robins made a nest in, which we can't touch since they already managed to lay their eggs and now they have moved on to the satellite dish. I don't mind the nest in the fan so much but the satellite dish?...REALLY!!?? Not only am I afraid they will somehow ruin it, but it is more visible than the ceiling fan and it is right above our patio furniture which is now being sprinkled with bird poop! Because this new location they have chosen is more visible, we can see their progress before it is too late, unlike the ceiling fan in the gazebo. Anytime I see a few twigs up there, we get the ladder out and remove them. Yet, the birds (who are watching us with laser eyes from the tree next door) just laugh and return with their twigs the next day. It was becoming a vicious cycle, especially when we went away for the weekend and came back to a half-built nest. Next, we decided to wrap the base of the dish in mesh, so they couldn't put anything in it. What did they do? They found a way to put the twigs on top of the mesh, brushing off our amateur efforts to get rid of them. I swear they were mocking us with their loud chirps in the morning asking, 'what have you got for us today Gudinos?' I read that they fear owls, which is why you always see those hideous plastic statues on the roofs of businesses, which gave me an idea. I asked Meyer if I could borrow her stuffed owl for a few days to help Mommy with the birds and after a bit of hesitation, she agreed. I had Anthony put the stuffed owl up on the satellite dish to ward off those little pests. Meyer just watched and commented, 'my owl is going to scare the birds, so they won't build a nest?' Let's just hope young one, let’s just hope....The next day we went out to look and those birds literally just went right around the owl (I swear they gave him a high five when they passed him) and placed a few twigs on the base again, ignoring his cute (yet intimidating?) face. I’m sure that if they were Cinderella's birds, they would have dressed the owl up in a cute pink dress and Incorporated him into their nest somehow while chirping/mocking us happily. Jerks! Then, this morning there were two ducks hanging out in the hot tub like the robins called them over and welcomed them to the bird party! Oh, hell no!!! I ran out there in my pajamas chasing them away and declared war. Bird war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment