Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I Freaking Love You, Danny Zuko!

Everyone has that one actor/actress that they are a tad bit obsessed with, right? Well, ever since I saw Saturday Night Fever, GreaseUrban Cowboy and basically anything John Travolta has been in, I have been obsessed! From his blue eyes, to his Jersey twang to that butt chin...I freaking love him!
The summer after I graduated high school (15 years ago), I got a job at Abercrombie and Fitch in Freeport, Maine where I was a cashier and an official t-shirt folder. Freeport was always busy in the summertime and most of the time I was stuck behind the register for my entire shift just pounding away on the cash register because the line at the store was never ending. One day, as I was helping someone at the register, I noticed someone familiar next to the dressing room. I don't care if he was wearing sweatpants and a hat- I knew exactly who it was! My best friend Alicia (she is still my best friend and is in my upcoming wedding) was bagging the clothes for all of the customers I was helping. I turned to her, white as a ghost and mouthed the words, "John Travolta!' Since he had a house in Maine, it was not odd that tourists and many of the outlets in Freeport often reported Travolta sightings. She looked at him, then looked back at me and shook her head. Was she in doubt of my celebrity sighting? I was determined to prove that it was John and luckily he got in my line to check out. By the time he stepped up to the register, I hadn't taken a breath for about 30 seconds and I'm pretty sure pee was streaming down my leg. Alicia gave me a kick under the counter as if to confirm that I was right in identifying him. I couldn't take it any longer. I leaned over the register and exclaimed, "I love you!" That's it. That's what I said when I was faced with my idol- "I love you?"
Alicia and John laughed and she told me to calm down. My face beet red, I asked for his autograph. He signed an Abercrombie receipt for me and to this day, I still carry it around in my wallet. And clearly he loved me back because it says so on the receipt- "Erin. Love, John Travolta."  Or is that a squiggly line? Nope, it definitely says 'love.'

No comments:

Post a Comment