Thursday, January 2, 2014

I Said YES!

As many of you already know, Anthony and I are engaged and I couldn't be more excited to marry my best friend. But many of you may not know how it all went down. We went to the East Coast for Christmas where we would be traveling from Boston to Maine to Toronto all in nine days. (Little did I know that my engagement ring was already at Grace and JJ's house in Maine awaiting our arrival). After a few days in Boston with Grace and JJ, we drove up to my parent's house in Maine to spend Christmas. Ironically, the first thing my dad did when I told him that we would be spending a day in Niagara Falls at the end of our trip was wave his ring finger at me and wink. "Do you think he's going to propose?" he asked as he giggled like a teenager. I was definitely hoping he would but I didn't want to get my hopes up and I knew that he still had to talk to my dad. Funny enough, when my dad made that gesture, Anthony hadn't even talked to him- it must have been fatherly intuition.

As our stay in Maine was winding down, I was very aware of the fact that I never saw my dad and Anthony alone together, so I figured that the timing just wasn't right and I decided that I would just be patient and let it happen when it happened. So off we went to Toronto. The city, although freezing, was beautiful and we were definitely having a blast being American tourists. On our last day of our vacation, we planned to go the Niagara Falls (ironically dubbed the Honeymoon Capital of the World). Our train from Toronto left at 8:20 AM, which meant we had to get up early to get to the subway, which would take us to the train station. Well, that didn't happen as we planned and we had to hail a cab and pray we would make our train because of course, we were running late that morning. Once on the train, go figure the WiFi didn't work and after two hours on the Amtrak, we finally made it into Niagara Falls only to discover that we had to take another bus into town. Were we filming Planes Trains and Automobiles 2? Once we got into the heart of the Falls, we thought we were at the Jersey Shore as the town resembled a boardwalk/carnival with a Hershey's Store, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, Hard Rock Cafe and various haunted houses to boot. I turned to Anthony and said, "this day is going to be an adventure!" Little did I know...
After we explored the falls, ate a few hot dogs, checked out the local casino and had a drink at Margaritaville, Anthony suggested that we take a ride on the Skywheel Ferris wheel where we could sit down, relax and enjoy the view in our own enclosed and heated cart. Although I am terrified of heights/Ferris wheels, I agreed to go on because I wanted to see the Falls from 175 feet in the air. We were enjoying the ride ands snapping a few photos when he blurted out that he had a confession to make. He kept telling me that he had one more Christmas gift to give me once we got back to LA but he said that he wasn't going to give me the gift in LA now. I was completely confused and asked him if we were going on another trip and he told me to close my eyes. I honestly still had no idea what was going on and was wondering if he was going to give me my gift at that moment- maybe a purse or something? But then I felt the cart shift and realized that he was getting down on his knee. I removed my hands from my eyes to see the love of my life kneeling in front of me with a gorgeous ring. I swear to God I blacked out when I heard the word 'wife' and still have no idea f I said yes. I was in total shock! I did manage to ask him if he asked my dad and he told me he asked both of my parents when I was in the shower on Christmas Eve. What a little bugger! I couldn't believe this was really happening. I think I finally mustered out an answer and gave him a big ole smooch. I had no idea I could go from a normal girl being scared to death of Ferris wheels to a fiance whose new favorite thing was a Ferris wheel in that short amount of time but I did. Let the wedding planning begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment